7 Feb 12 @ 05:41pm by ALEX WARD
PENELOPE Carr helps fix bad habits.
From her Rozelle clinic she assists sports people, musicians, office workers and nurses reprogram their body using the Alexander Technique.
â€œItâ€™s a re-education process that teaches you how to unlearn habits,â€ she said.
The technique increases the awareness of the body through dialogue and gentle manual guidance.
Ms Carr discovered the technique after 15 years working in ceramics.
â€œI was doing heavy labour lifting raw materials and my body was a mess,â€ Ms Carr said.
â€œThe technique completely changed my life and now I see people and help them transform their lives.â€
Anxiety is the biggest problem faced by Ms Carrâ€™s patients.
â€œPeople are coming to me in their thirties with anxiety problems,â€ she said.
â€œItâ€™s a huge problem now because everything is going too fast.â€
* Individual, small group and Qi gong/yoga sessions available
* At 46 Alfred St, Rozelle
* Information: Call 9810 4347 or visit alexandertechniqueconsultant.com
* Was developed by Tasmanian actor F.M. Alexander, who lost his voice, but through observation was able to change his thinking and free his voice and his whole body
* Good for those who sit at computers for a long time, have pain, repetitive strain injury
* Helps: Reduce tension and postural stress; gain a deeper understanding of the body, mind and self; achieve more with less effort; enhance performance in all daily activities
Â© 2012 News Community Media